The Business of Freelancing
What will you learn from this seminar?
This seminar is ideal if you already have at least six months freelance writing experience under your belt and want to take your freelancing business to the next level.
Or you may be established in a full-time writing/editing role in the
publishing industry but want to take the plunge into freelancing. This
seminar is NOT ideal if you are brand new to freelancing.
The most important thing to remember is that “freelance” does not equal “poor”. Gayle Bryant is a successful, financially independent freelancer who makes a healthy living from freelance writing.
Here's what you'll learn:
- Business basics – what you need to get you started
- How to develop a contact book
- Getting repeat commissions and finding regular work
- What you need to do to build your profile as a writer
- Current issues facing freelancers
- How to invoice and chase payment without burning any bridges
- How to build a regular and healthy income stream
- Determining and negotiating the rates you should charge
- Guidelines on invoicing long-term projects
- Beyond the word rate – when to charge by the hour, day or project
- and much more.
This seminar is ideal for:
- Freelance writers with at least six months freelance experience who want to boost their income and turn their freelance writing into a business
- Experienced journalists/writers currently employed in the publishing industry who want to transition into freelancing full-time.
This seminar is not ideal for those who are new to freelance writing. The seminar is not about writing. It’s about the business of writing.
The writer Robert Benchley once said: “The freelance writer is a man who is paid per piece or per word or perhaps”. This doesn't have to be the case!
Find out how to thrive as a freelancer.
Rave reviews about
"The Successful Freelancing seminar is invaluable for all freelancers, from those just launching their freelancing career through to experienced writers looking for a motivational boost."
- Briar Jensen, freelance writer and photojournalist
"For someone taking their first freelancing steps, attending the seminar on how to survive as a freelancer was one of the best things I could have done.
"The presenter gave a concise, intensive and extremely comprehensive overview of all the things a new freelancer needs to know about the industry, from pitching stories to protecting copyright to chasing payment. I came away from the evening feeling so motivated and excited about the possibilities."
- Bianca Nogrady
"I enjoyed the informal atmosphere and the fact that we could be involved in the discussion. It was a great way to meet other writers/editors and to gain more confidence in the idea that you can actually be in control of a freelance career. It was interesting and not too overloaded with information – a great mix."
- Deborah Ronald
"Since attending the Successful Freelancing Seminar in February I have had three stories accepted for a parenting publication and have begun writing for business publications. The seminar motivated me and pointed me in the right direction. Thank you!"
- Sandy Leen
"I was at the Successful Freelancing seminar last night and just wanted to say thanks. I came up from Melbourne especially for it, and it was definitely worth the trip!"
- Daniel Papas
Learn from the best
Gayle Bryant has been a journalist for nearly 20 years and has worked in
the media industry in Sydney and London. In the UK, Gayle worked
full-time and freelanced for a range of publications including The Sunday Times newspaper and EuroMoney. When she returned to Sydney, she worked as the technology writer for BRW magazine ...