How to turn your love of interiors and
style into a writing career
- Do you love magazines like Home Beautiful, Belle, and House & Garden?
- Would you love to write about amazing homes and stylish people and gorgeous accessories?
- Do luxury bathrooms send you to heaven?
- If so, you may enjoy writing about interiors and style ...
Are you excited by homes and interior design?
Maybe you're fascinated by paint finishes, lighting, colour schemes and
renovation. Perhaps you have a passion for architecture and the ‘greats’
of furniture design. Or you could be a stylist or interior designer who’d like to write about your chosen profession for magazines, newspapers or websites.
This “Industry Insight” course is ideal for you if you have a love of all things home-related and want to translate that enthusiasm into words.
YES! Please send me an outline for this course
Here's what you'll learn:
- Understanding the market for home and interior design articles
- The most common types of article that magazines wants
- How you can find properties, feature ideas and contacts
- Tips and rules for writing about homes and interior design
- How much technical knowledge and jargon you need to know
- How to find an unusual angle
- What editors of interior magazines are looking for
- How to get the best out of an interview with an architect or builder
- Common problems you'll encounter and mistakes you should avoid
- and MUCH more.
The aim of the seminar is to help you structure your design-related articles and avoid the pitfalls that beset many writers. You may have already completed Magazine and Newspaper Writing Stage 1 and/or Stage 2, or you may be someone who is keen to write about this field and doesn’t know where to start.
Rave reviews about
Writing About Interiors, Style and Design
"I have just come home after my last class with Nigel, full of inspirational ideas. Every question that I had was answered, along with a lot of other valuable information. Nigel was very approachable and gave us accurate, no nonsense advice.
"He presents in an easy to understand manner. His valuable information comes from his expertise and good preparation. For anyone wanting to pursue a career in writing about interior design, I highly recommend this course. Just do it. You won't be disappointed."
- Lesley Robyn Landmark
"This course was excellent. Nigel showed a keen interest in sharing his knowledge. It's the best short writing course I have been on and wasted no time in presenting the right information for getting your work published."
- Phillip Brook
"Nigel's personal insights were really valuable and interesting. I particularly appreciated that he had asked people he knows in the right positions, such as magazine editors, to provide their dos and don’ts. Nigel is engaging and interesting."
- Nicola Duncan
"I enjoyed the inside information Nigel was able to bring to the course. He was optimistic and made us believe we could be interiors writers without too many barriers. I liked his straightforward and non-ego driven approach."
- Carmel Sullivan
"The course gave practical information about becoming a freelancer in the field of interiors and inside information about what magazines want, and the dos and dont's. Nigel was informative, and able to impart personal and professional knowledge effectively."
- Megan Macpherson
Learn from the best
|A freelance writer and editor with more than 20 years’ experience in
magazines. He has written and edited interior design features for Belle, Inside Out, Real Living
and other magazines. His work has included house and apartment stories,
before-and-after pieces, kitchen and bathroom supplements and
interviews with architects, interior designers, furniture makers and