Danger, action and adrenaline-pumping tension
- You love the idea of writing a crime or thriller novel.
- Maybe you’ve already written the first chapter(s) or have an amazing premise that’s just waiting to unfold.
- You want to write a nail-biter that readers can’t put down – and that publishers love.
The top 10 living crime fiction authors have sold 450 million books and that figure just keeps rising. Even J.K. Rowling is now writing crime fiction. Do you love gritty detectives, troubled PIs and cool FBI agents? Or are you a fan of fast-paced, high stakes thrillers with a hero plunged into danger on a seemingly impossible mission?
Crime and thriller novels dominate the bestseller lists around the world. Just think of Michael Connelly, Dan Brown, Stieg Larsson, David Baldacci, Patricia Cornwall, Janet Evanovich or Michael Robotham? Or shows like The Bourne Identity, Law and Order, Sherlock and Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries.
I enjoyed getting a personal perspective from a crime and thriller writer. The course was logically put together and covered a lot of very useful information. It was a fantastic course that was well worth undertaking. - Liam Saville
I enjoyed getting a personal perspective from a crime and thriller writer. The course was logically put together and covered a lot of very useful information. It was a fantastic course that was well worth undertaking.
- Liam Saville
Learn the art of crime and thriller writing
Join author L.A. Larkin for an intensive two-day weekend workshop that will take you on a journey into the murky and murderous world of crime fiction and thrillers.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Different types of crime fiction and thrillers – and what kind of story yours is
- Core ‘ingredients’ of a detective story and a classic thriller
- Techniques to discover your story
- Researching your story
- Creating intriguing and well-rounded central characters
- Opening paragraphs to your novel, hooking your reader
- Creating a sense of place in your story
- Writing action scenes
- Managing pace and building suspense
- Discovering your story’s climax
- Publishing options available, and the market for crime fiction and thrillers today.
Above: "The course has had a huge impact on my writing. It's changed my understanding of the thriller genre and my approach to writing it."
I gained a very strong understanding of the essential aspects of thriller writing and now know what publishers would be looking for when presented with a thriller manuscript. - Belinda Williams
I gained a very strong understanding of the essential aspects of thriller writing and now know what publishers would be looking for when presented with a thriller manuscript.
- Belinda Williams
Enjoy exclusive access to our AWC Graduates’ Club
Want to know where all the cool kids hang out? The Graduates’ Club of course! Now, calm down – there’s no cigars, leather armchairs or loud ticking grandfather clocks here. But it IS exclusive invitation only (on completion of a course) and it’s free! Meet other writers online and share successes, seek help or just get something off your chest. Many students believe this ‘legacy learning’ is one of the most valuable things about our AWC community, and who are we to argue? So if you want to receive feedback, support and a heads-up on opportunities … join the Club!