Wow! Well done, you actually came to this page. We had to include this page because our lawyers made us do it. But, as we are a writers’ centre, we believe that messages – even those from lawyers – need to be clear and understandable. So we took the legalese the lawyers wrote and translated it into readable English. So it’s a pretty good idea to read what’s on this page.
Here we go:
We run this site so that people like you can use it for personal entertainment, information, education and communication. So go ahead and browse around all you like. You can even download stuff from the site but only for non-commercial, personal use. If you do, though, please don’t fool around with the copyright and other notices. They’re there for a really good reason. And please don’t think about distributing, modifying, transmitting, reusing, re-posting, or anything else uncool with any of the stuff, including the text, images, audio, and video, for public or commercial purposes unless we give you written permission.
If you visit our site, you’re also legally obligated to the terms and conditions listed below and any other law or regulation that applies to the site, the internet, the World Wide Web, or Australia. You shouldn’t access or browse the site if you have any problem with that, because once you start, there’s no turning back – you are bound by the terms and conditions.
So here are our Top 10 Rules for visitors to our site:
1. Assume that everything on the site is copyrighted unless we say it’s not. So you can’t use the material except how we say you can on this page or anywhere else on the site without our written permission.
2. We try to include accurate stuff on the site, however, sometimes things change without our knowledge. While we will certain try our hardest to ensure that information is up to date and accurate, we assume no liability or responsibility for errors or omissions on the site.
3. We and anybody else who helped us create, produce, or deliver the site are not liable for any damages you suffer when you use it. In particular, the lawyers want you to know that our disclaimer includes “direct, incidental, consequential, indirect, or punitive damages arising out of your access to, or use of, the site. Without limiting the foregoing, everything on the site is provided to you without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non infringement.
Please note that some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you. Check your local laws for any restrictions or limitations regarding the exclusion of implied warranties.” Ugh! What a mouthful from the mouthpieces. We put all of that in quotes because we couldn’t figure out any other way to say it that the lawyers would accept. But it really means that we’re not responsible if you’re browsing around and the site damages you or your computer or infects it with any nasty viruses. We sure hope that doesn’t happen – in fact, it’s extremely unlikely that it’s going to happen.
4. If you don’t want the world to know personal information, don’t post in on the site in any forum or anywhere else, particularly our blog. If you post information in the password protected forums, please understand that anyone who has access to the forum can read what you’ve posted. We are not responsible for what they might do with that information. The key here is: don’t post information you don’t want other people to know.
5. Pictures of people or places shown on the site are either our property or someone else’s property and we’re using it with their permission. You can’t use it unless we we’ve given you specific written permission.
6. There’s also a lot of trademarks, logos, and service marks on the site that either we own or we’re using with someone else’s permission. So please understand you don’t have any kind of license or right to use them.
7. You’ll probably notice we’ve linked our site to lots of others. While we try to always link to useful and relevant material, we are not always aware if external sites change their content. So if you also choose to link to those sites, please remember that you’re doing so at your own risk.
8. That brings us to what you do on our own site. If you participate in a forum, please don’t post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, nasty, mean, or profane material or any material that law enforcement types may consider a criminal offence, get someone in court on a civil lawsuit, or for that matter violate any law – anywhere, anytime. While we certainly respect your privacy, we have no choice but to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court which might ask us who might have posted inappropriate material on our site.
While we sometimes listen in on forums, or look at the postings, we take no responsibility and assume no liability for the content of those locations or for any mistakes, defamation, libel, slander, omissions, falsehoods, obscenity, pornography, or profanity you might encounter when you visit such places on our site.
9. We’re also allowed to change this page and anything else on the site any time we want to. If any terms on this page change, you’re bound by those changes, too, whenever you visit our site.
10. These terms are governed by the laws of Australia, without regard to principles of conflict of laws.
To the extent you have in any manner violated or threatened to violate WritersCentre.com.au and/or its affiliates’ intellectual property rights, WritersCentre.com.au and/or its affiliates may seek injunctive or other appropriate relief in any state or federal court in Australia, and you consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in such courts.
Any other disputes will be resolved as follows:
If a dispute arises under this agreement, we agree to first try to resolve it with the help of a mutually agreed-upon mediator in the following location: Australia. Any costs and fees other than legal fees associated with the mediation will be shared equally by each of us.
If it proves impossible to arrive at a mutually satisfactory solution through mediation, we agree to submit the dispute to binding arbitration at the following location: Australia. Judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitration may be entered in any court in Australia with jurisdiction to do so.
We always give you the option of unsubscribing from our online communication in the emails you receive. If you have any trouble with this, just email us at courses [at] writerscentre [dot] com [dot] au.
How we gather information from users
How we collect and store information depends on the page you are visiting, the activities in which you elect to participate and the services provided. For example, you may be asked to provide information when you register for access to certain portions of our site or request certain features, such as newsletters, course outlines or when you enrol or make a purchase. You may provide information when you participate in competitions, online courses or forums, and other interactive areas of our site. Like most websites, WritersCentre.com.au also collects information automatically and through the use of electronic tools that may be transparent to our visitors. For example, we may log the name of your internet service provider or use cookie technology to recognise you and hold information from your visit. Among other things, the cookie may store your user name and password, sparing you from having to re-enter that information each time you visit, or may control the number of times you encounter a particular advertisement while visiting our site. As we adopt additional technology, we may also gather information through other means. In certain cases, you can choose not to provide us with information, for example by setting your browser to refuse to accept cookies, but if you do you may be unable to access certain portions of the site or may be asked to re-enter your user name and password, and we may not be able to customise the site’s features according to your preferences.
What we do with the information we collect
Like other web publishers, we collect information to enhance your visit and deliver more individualised content and advertising. We respect your privacy and do not share your information with anyone.
Aggregated Information (information that does not personally identify you) may be used in many ways. For example, we may combine information about your usage patterns with similar information obtained from other users to help enhance our site and services (eg, to learn which pages are visited most or what features are most attractive). Aggregated Information may occasionally be shared with our business partners. Again, this information does not include any personally identifiable information about you or allow anyone to identify you individually.
Personally identifiable information collected by WritersCentre.com.au may also be used for other purposes, including but not limited to site administration, troubleshooting, processing of e-commerce transactions, course enrolment, and other communications with you. Certain third parties who provide technical support for the operation of our site (our web hosting service for example) may access such information. We will use your information only as permitted by law. In addition, from time to time as we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, user information may be among the transferred assets. We may also disclose your information in response to a court order, at other times when we believe we are reasonably required to do so by law, in connection with the collection of amounts you may owe to us, and/or to law enforcement authorities whenever we deem it appropriate or necessary. Please note we may not provide you with notice prior to disclosure in such cases.
Affiliated sites, linked sites or resources
WritersCentre.com.au expects its partners, advertisers and affiliates to respect the privacy of our users. Be aware, however, that third parties, including our partners, advertisers, affiliates and other content providers accessible through our site, may have their own privacy and data collection policies and practices. For example, during your visit to our site you may link to, or view as part of a frame on a WritersCentre.com.au page, certain content that is actually created or hosted by a third party. Also, through WritersCentre.com.au you may be introduced to, or be able to access, information, websites, features, or competitions (such as short story/writing competitions) offered by other parties. WritersCentre.com.au is not responsible for the actions or policies of such third parties. You should check the applicable privacy policies of those third parties when providing information on a feature or page operated by a third party.
You should also be aware that if you voluntarily disclose personally identifiable information on message boards or in chat areas, that information can be viewed publicly and can be collected and used by third parties without our knowledge and may result in unsolicited messages from other individuals or third parties. Such activities are beyond the control of WritersCentre.com.au and this policy.
WritersCentre.com.au does not knowingly collect or solicit personally identifiable information from or about children under 13 except as permitted by law. If we discover we have received any information from a child under 13 in violation of this policy, we will delete that information immediately. If you believe WritersCentre.com.au has any information from or about anyone under 13, please contact us at courses [at] writerscentre [dot] com [dot] au.
Changes to this policy
WritersCentre.com.au reserves the right to change this policy at any time. Please check this page periodically for changes. Your continued use of our site following the posting of changes to these terms will mean you accept those changes. Information collected prior to the time any change is posted will be used according to the rules and laws that applied at the time the information was collected.
This policy and the use of this site are governed by Australian law. If a dispute arises under this policy we agree to first try to resolve it with the help of a mutually agreed-upon mediator in the following location: Australia. Any costs and fees other than legal fees associated with the mediation will be shared equally by each of us.
If it proves impossible to arrive at a mutually satisfactory solution through mediation, we agree to submit the dispute to binding arbitration at the following location: Australia. Judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitration may be entered in any Australian court with jurisdiction to do so.
WritersCentre.com.au is controlled, operated and administered entirely within Australia. This statement and the policies outlined herein are not intended to and do not create any contractual or other legal rights in or on behalf of any party.
This statement applies to WritersCentre.com.au websites and services that display or link to this notice (“Services”). WritersCentre.com.au prohibits the use of the Services in any manner associated with the transmission, distribution or delivery of any unsolicited bulk or unsolicited commercial e-mail (“Spam”). You may not use any Services to send Spam. You also may not deliver Spam or cause Spam to be delivered to any of WritersCentre.com.au’s Services or customers.
In addition, e-mail sent, or caused to be sent, to or through the Services may not:
1. Use or contain invalid or forged headers;
2. Use or contain invalid or non-existent domain names;
3. Employ any technique to otherwise misrepresent, hide or obscure any information in identifying the point of origin or the transmission path;
4. Use other means of deceptive addressing;
5. Use a third party’s internet domain name, or be relayed from or through a third party’s equipment, without permission of the third party;
6. Contain false or misleading information in the subject line or otherwise contain false or misleading content;
7. Fail to comply with additional technical standards described below; or
WritersCentre.com.au does not authorise the harvesting, mining or collection of e-mail addresses or other information from or through the Services.
WritersCentre.com.au does not permit or authorise any attempt to use the Services in a manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair any aspect of any of the Services, or that could interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of any Service.
If WritersCentre.com.au believes that unauthorised or improper use is being made of any Service, it may, without notice, take such action as it, in its sole discretion, deems appropriate, including blocking messages from a particular internet domain, mail server or IP address. WritersCentre.com.au may immediately terminate any account on any Service which it determines, in its sole discretion, is transmitting or is otherwise connected with any e-mail that violates this policy.
Nothing in this policy is intended to grant any right to transmit or send e-mail to, or through, the Services. Failure to enforce this policy in every instance does not amount to a waiver of WritersCentre.com.au’s rights.
Unauthorised use of the Services in connection with the transmission of unsolicited e-mail, including the transmission of e-mail in violation of this policy, may result in civil, criminal, or administrative penalties against the sender and those assisting the sender.
WritersCentre.com.au links to other, external web sites that provide information we determine at our discretion contain the most useful information for our program. While many sites provide very useful information, WritersCentre.com.au only links to those sites which provide the most useful content.
These links may be changed at any time as more useful sites come to our attention. The sole purpose of any external link is to enrich this site for our customers. All requests for inclusion of a link on this site is first and primarily evaluated with the needs of our customers in mind. Generally, external websites do not meet the purposes of WritersCentre.com.au if they contain, suggest, or infer any of the following:
This list is a nonexclusive list. The external link policy applies only to websites outside WritersCentre.com.au
We shall establish procedures to monitor the implementation and continuing oversight of this policy. These procedures shall include a process for review of all new requests for external content links from WritersCentre.com.au webpage to another page to ensure compliance with this policy prior to granting the request.
Each request for such a link shall be evaluated using the following guidelines:
Is the content relevant?
Does the site provide information or services which are not already available or linked to on WritersCentre.com.au? If not, is the quality of the site comparable to or better than what is already provided?
WritersCentre.com.au reserves the right, at its sole discretion and without explanation, to withdraw at any time any external content for any reason.