On the first weekend of every month, you are invited to put your storytelling skills to the test in the ultimate writer-takes-all short story competition. Armed only with our simple brief, your job is to race the clock to come up with your best 500 words-or-fewer story and be in to win a tasty $500 – every single month.
It’s fast, it’s fun and it’s free... Welcome to Furious Fiction!
The next FURIOUS FICTION challenge will go live 5pm Friday 2 March 2018.
On the first Friday of every month, a new set of story prompts will be revealed. You will have 55 hours to submit your best 500-word (or fewer) story for the chance to win... (drumroll)... $500!
That's right. The winning story EVERY month comes with a cash prize of AUD$500.
Furious Fiction is open to anyone 17 years and older, anywhere in the world.
Be sure to sign up to the Furious Fiction Fan Club (click on the big orange button) so you can be notified as soon as each competition goes live.
FEBRUARY WINNER: Announced 21 February 2018
Welcome to the first ever FURIOUS FICTION!
This month, we wanted to celebrate fiction of all kinds – so your story can be written in any genre you like. (This may not always be the case!)
Your story must contain no more than 500 words (hyphenated compounds will be counted as one word). If you wish to provide a TITLE for your story, there will be a separate box to enter this – it’s not counted in the 500. And of course, your story must meet this month’s CHALLENGE CRITERIA:
- Your story’s opening sentence must contain exactly THREE WORDS.
- You may have noticed that Furious Fiction is brought to you by the letter “F”. So, for this opening month, your story, anywhere throughout, must include the following FIVE F-words: ‘furious’, ‘flamboyant’, ‘forty’, ‘flavour’ and ‘fortune’. Plurals (if they exist) are allowed, but no other variations.
- Your story must include as a prop, in some way, a FEATHER.
And that’s your brief! We cannot WAIT to see what you all come up with. Each person can only enter ONCE so really go for it and WOW us. Remember, the deadline is midnight Sunday AEDST and first prize is $500. Writers, start your engines...
Terms and Conditions: Furious Fiction
- This is a competition conducted by Australian Writers’ Centre Pty Limited (“AWC”) ABN 68 118 584 071.
- Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions. Participation in this competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- Entry must be in English and is open to entrants worldwide aged 17 years and over. AWC employees and the immediate family members of such employees are ineligible to enter.
- The competition is FREE to enter. Any other costs associated with accessing the competition (e.g. Internet access charges) are the entrant’s responsibility.
- The competition is a game of skill in which chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- Competition commences at 5pm AEDT, Friday 2 March 2018 and closes at 11.59.59 AEDT Sunday 4 March 2018 (“the competition period”).
- To enter, entrants must complete the Entry Form on the Submit Your Story page, including the required details, and submit their story within the word limit during the competition period. Emailed, posted or late entries will not be accepted.
- The entered story must be 500 words or fewer and adhering to the defined challenge criteria. Stories must be the original work of the entrant, and previously unpublished. Once an entry has been submitted, it is final and cannot be withdrawn or edited by the entrant. However, the Australian Writers’ Centre reserves the right to edit for obvious minor typos before publication if required, where it will not substantially change the work.
- Only one entry permitted per person per month.
- Copyright is retained by the author at all times. By entering this competition, all entrants grant permission for their story to be published (along with their name/pen name) on the Australian Writers’ Centre website, newsletter and social media platforms, and read aloud on the ‘So you want to be a writer’ podcast. The winning author wins AUD500. The winning author grants AWC first rights to publish their winning entry in any future anthology of stories. There is no additional payment beyond the prize money.
- The judging takes place at Australian Writers’ Centre, 55 Lavender Street, Milsons Point, NSW, Australia within 14 days of each submission closing date. The winner and any shortlisted entrants will be contacted by email in the two days that follow. An announcement of the winner and shortlisted entries will be sent to the Furious Fiction Fan Club email list 17 days (a Wednesday) after each submission closing date. It will also be announced in the AWC email newsletter the following day.
- The AWC appointed judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Incomplete or indecipherable entries will be deemed invalid.
- The winning author agrees not to enter the winning entry into any future competition.
- Two weeks after the original decision has been made, if the winner cannot be contacted, the unclaimed prize will be awarded to the next best entry as judged by AWC at the same place as the original judging, subject to any directions from a regulatory authority.
- AWC reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity and place of residence) and to disqualify any entrant who submits an entry that is not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions or who tampers with the entry process. Failure by AWC to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
- If this competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of the AWC, AWC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law (a) to disqualify any entrant; or (b) subject to any written directions from a regulatory authority, to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition, as appropriate.
- Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, AWC (including its officers, employees and agents) excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury; or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity); whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the competition, including, but not limited to, where arising out of the following: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the AWC’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorised access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected (whether or not after their receipt by AWC) due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of AWC; (d) any variation in prize value to that stated in these Terms and Conditions; (e) any tax liability incurred by a winner or entrant; or (f) use of a prize.
- AWC collects personal information in order to conduct the competition and will never disclose this information to a 3rd party. AWC may, for an indefinite period unless otherwise advised, use the information for its own promotional, marketing and publicity purposes including sending electronic messages or telephoning the entrant. Entrants should direct any request to access, update or correct information to AWC.
- These Terms and Conditions are subject to change at any time without notice.