The Australian Writers’ Centre team is growing and we need an Assistant Project Manager.
Please note: This role is not a writing-based role. This role won’t be a stepping stone for you to publish your novel – but you will help others pursue their passion for writing. And hey, you can always write outside of work hours! This role is not for anyone looking for part-time work. We expect that you'll be based in Sydney as we will meet up at least once a week with additional adhoc days to work together in the same office. These meetings will be held in our Milsons Point (Sydney) office.
Who are we looking for?
Australian Writers’ Centre is looking for someone who’s ready for the biggest challenge of their career. You have energy to burn and want to implement your ideas. You love making things frictionless. You’re obsessed with improving systems and making things frictionless.
Who are we?
We’re the Australia Writers’ Centre, a family owned business helping aspiring writers hone their craft and get published. Our online community is a hub for writers from around the world and our Presenters are some of the most accomplished authors in the country.
We’re a small team of do-ers based all over, mostly working remotely. We like making things seamless. What we care about most is an attitude of aspiring toward excellence in everything we do. We’re innovative, we’re geeks, we’re creatives, we’re customer obsessed and we’re fun to work with. We love cats.
What kind of person are we looking for?
We imagine you’re looking to have ownership of your own projects, and would welcome more responsibility. You like to play, tinker, test, trial, and generally click around to see what’s possible. You’re not afraid to research your questions online and test solutions yourself. You don’t give up until you you’ve found the solution. It’s that feeling of not being beaten that drives you. You thrive on the personal satisfaction you get from taking a complex problem and methodically working it through to a simple, easy to use system for your team mates to use each day.
You’re looking for a long-term, stable role. You don’t have plans to take a sabbatical, move overseas or start a full-time kitten rescue group on Facebook (although we’d applaud you for the latter). You’re happy to grow with our business and understand your role may move in line with typical small business growth.
If the following values are important to you, please apply:
– Listen carefully to understand the deeper issues
– Give, ask for and accept help
– Self motivated
– Autonomous work life
– Embrace change
– Sense of humour!
How will you help?
Help us make data informed decisions that will be actioned in our marketing, our user experience and our content. We love data. We have a lot of data. We need your help to wrangle the data.
We expect you will plan your day by viewing your projects and priorities in Asana each morning. You’ll brief out your work in short summaries for everyone to view, assign work to yourself and others, document as you go and cross train continuously.
You’ll be responsible for some of the most important engines of the business. Serious right? We’re a small team but we pack a punch. Each week we produce two award winning podcasts with over 1 million downloads to date, we manage 6 WordPress websites, thousands of students receive our emails and do our online courses and that’s just the half of it.
What will you spend your days doing?
The #1 aim of this role is to ensure everything we described in the previous paragraph (you should probably re-read it) all happens with as little friction as possible.
Specifically you will:
– Define issues, gather and prepare relevant data and files, brainstorm your ideas with the team, brief out your work, delegate and manage projects to completion and report back on your solutions. Don’t worry if you haven’t had this level of responsibility before, we’ll train you how to take charge of projects.
– Review HelpScout support tickets to identify issues on our websites.
– Converse with our developers to improve the user experience on the sites.
– Take command of Infusionsoft our marketing software
– Coordinate projects with other team members
– Use attention to detail as the grease to make everything flow
What is your background / experience?
Don’t have experience with WordPress or Infusionsoft? With the training we provide and your knack for picking up new software we’re confident you’ll be moving projects forward and producing great results in the first few weeks. Likely you will have done aspects of this type of role before and / or wished for more. You’re keen to prove yourself but the role hasn’t quite encompassed enough areas of the business to be the type of challenge that has you jumping out of bed each day.
In our experience the person who would excel at this role will likely have an engineering background, or be a tinkerer of software, perhaps a high-level C-Level management assistant or an admin super star.
– The ability to take the complex and make it simple
– Actively listen and check for understanding and commitment
– Perform your work with aspirations of excellence, attention to detail and accuracy
– Continue to work through priorities without being prompted; proactive self-starter
– Easily share project status updates at any given time
– Contribute positively to team dynamics
– Keenness to become proficient in software quickly
– Take ownership and responsibility
– Deal with the sometimes repetitive nature of the role
– Be orderly, organised and efficient
– Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
– No job too big or too small
– Able to work remotely with regular and random days in the Milsons Point office
Desirable, but definitely not mandatory
Experience and / or an interest in:
– Google Apps software suite
– CRM software like Infusionsoft or Salesforce
– WordPress and website page (not entire sites) building generally
– Online marketing
What’s In It For You?
Every day we help aspiring writers fulfil their dreams. We love what we do. Your ideas will be welcomed and championed. You will receive a competitive salary, recognition for your contribution and the support and guidance to do your best work and be intellectually challenged. And, you’ll have flexibility to work from home a few days of the week.
Next steps and application process
Email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Did we describe you?
Great. Then we want to hear from you!
We’re genuinely interested in what makes you tick and how you would approach the challenges of this role. Write us a letter. We love reading, no really. Keep it short, make it long we don’t mind as long as we get to know you and something of your work experience. If you’re a video kind of person, send us a video. Tell us about things you’ve fixed, what drives you crazy, how you’d solve some world problems, the best boss you’ve ever had or who you would like to learn from and why? Really anything.
We’re not in a rush but we will be swift in responding to you.
– Write us a letter and include your CV to email@example.com NOTE – We will only consider applications with BOTH a cover letter and resume.
– Due to the amount of applications, only successfully shortlisted candidates will be contacted.