If you’re familiar with Cryptic Crosswords, you’re in for a treat. Actually, even if you’re not familiar, you’ll still have fun with this quiz. There are 26 clues – with answers beginning with every letter of the alphabet BUT NOT IN ORDER (you may want an alphabet handy to scribble out the letters already used).
Cryptic clues typically have a ‘straight’ clue and a ‘cryptic clue’ – with the latter using things like anagrams, hidden words and other tricks to conjure up the answer. (Here’s a quick guide to solving them.)
EXAMPLE CLUE: This fruit has zero distance. (6)
SOLUTION: ORANGE (the fruit and “0”(zero)+”range”(distance))
Note the answer has two ways to solve it. That’s how most cryptic clues work.
Answers will be published in next week’s 9 January AWC e-newsletter – if you’re not already subscribed, you can do so now. It’s free and is packed with fun stuff delivered to your inbox each week.
EACH OF THE 26 ANSWERS BEGINS WITH A DIFFERENT LETTER OF THE ALPHABET – HOWEVER THEY ARE NOT IN A to Z ORDER.
- Battle witnessed in the Polish capital. (6)
- My over-par, rotten round contains a birdie. (6)
- Agree to blend dry tea the day before. (9)
- Sounds funny but add an S at the front and you’ll die. (8)
- The final one is by itself. (5)
- A misplaced rum label helps you take cover! (8)
- Entering dark turmoil at the start of school. (12)
- A dog that’s found in the wild in good numbers. (5)
- Funny, but an outsider in the pack (5)
- It’s nothing to laze round inside. (4)
- Go and get it from the buffet chicken. (5)
- Sent in upset to a court appearance. (6)
- Make things with 100 on a floating structure. (5)
- Initially Grant spread rubbish for sparkly decoration (7)
- Clan to run together only at night. (9)
- To infer nothing went up in flames (7)
- The vixen only contains a noble gas. (5)
- They help you see further but also produce a sonic blur (10)
- Have difficulty with parts of the last rug Glen bought. (8)
- Plenty of household linen for the British city (10)
- A noble search for a charged particle needs an answer! (8)
- It’s the highest the night before sleep. (7)
- This summary isn’t in good condition, I hear. (7)
- Five-oh needs frozen water to be able to speak. (5)
- No vital organ for this hungry boy! (6)
- Mix it a bath and find a place to live. (7)