Playwrights, enter stage right!
The Melbourne Theatre Company (MTC) has three writer-in-residence opportunities in their Next Stage writer’s program up for grabs. Includes a stipend of up to $25,000 per year for successful applicants.
The residencies are available for those writers who have a background in playwriting and who would therefore get something out of the experience of writing for Melbourne Theatre Company.
From the Melbourne Theatre Company website:
“Across five years, MTC will have writer-in-residence opportunities for up to 15 writers who have a background in playwriting and would benefit from specific experience of, and writing for, a major company’s mainstage.
“These writers will be resident at MTC for up to three years, receiving an annual stipend, office resources, company support, regular meetings with the Artistic team and integration with all aspects of MTC’s operations including the programming and production decision-making processes. In the first year of residencies the writers will not be obliged to write a full play, unless they wish to do so.”
According to their information sheet, the benefits for successful applicants include:
- “An annual stipend of up to $25,000 per year;
- Access to a desk, phone, computer and all the benefits and familial connection that being part of the MTC team entails;
- Access to meetings with MTC’s key artistic team and insight into the programming, directorial, creative and casting process of a major theatre company;
- Access to MTC’s production process from design concept through to rehearsals and performances;
- Access to dynamic and informed dramaturgical conversations with the MTC artistic staff including the Artistic Director, Literary Director, Associate Directors and fellow NEXT STAGE writers;
- The chance to develop concepts through two-days of workshop time with actors and directors at MTC;
- Invitations to exclusive MTC events and networking opportunities including philanthropic events throughout the year”
Applications for three residencies as part of the Year 2 residencies in the Next Stage program are now OPEN and will close 18th June 2018.
This is an outstanding opportunity for emerging playwrights. We wish you the best of luck with your application.
Break a leg!
Find out more and apply via the Melbourne Theatre Company website.