Good dialogue is at the heart of great novels. That's because dialogue advances the action, defines characters and entertains the reader. Some people have an ‘ear’ for it – but the basic principles of good dialogue can be learnt. And that's what this short course is all about.
In this course you will transform your understanding of the dialogue writing process and have new skills that will last you a life time.
- master how to create dialogue that readers love
- discover ways to use dialogue in your pacing and structure
- understand the publishing trends that may affect the way you use dialogue in fiction
- learn the rules for writing dialect, accents, jargon and acronyms in dialogue
- understand the difference between good dialogue - and great dialogue
- get the skills to edit and polish your dialogue including the right way to lay out and punctuate it in fiction
- practise your writing and get specific feedback on your dialogue, with advice tailored to your story.
A great story can be weakened with stilted or ineffective dialogue. And yet you can master the art of writing great dialogue if you learn the right rules.
Compelling dialogue can also say a lot about a character. You'll learn how to develop a ‘voice’ for each of your characters. You'll also be able to incorporate your dialogue to reinforce paralanguage, body language and setting.
Presentation and punctuation of dialogue is crucial in allowing readers to understand your story, and in convincing editors that you are offering a professional manuscript. You'll learn a variety of dialogue punctuation formats, including the preferred format for Australian, UK and US publishers.
Ultimately, you'll also be equipped with the skills to edit and polish your dialogue. You need to know where you pare it back – and where you should add more. You'll learn how to do a ‘dialogue draft’ and have a clear framework on how to improve your dialogue writing.
Writing good dialogue is art as well as craft. - Stephen King
Writing good dialogue is art as well as craft.
- Stephen King
The AWC methodology
We truly believe that every person needs to tap into their own creative intuition. It’s YOUR ideas and imagination that will make your stories unique – and find your voice in your writing. However, we also know there are clear frameworks and techniques that will make you a better writer. AWC’s methodology will equip you with the right tools and skills you need, but also show you how to harness the creative process and tap into your own innate talents.