Getting into character
Writing compelling, believable characters is the key skill in all fiction writing. So it’s vital that you create characters readers will connect with. If you don’t, no one will care about your story – in fact, they probably won’t get past the first few pages!
In this online course, we will help you develop not only the main players in your story, but your entire cast of characters. This is vital because each of them plays an integral part in whether or not your reader engages with your story.
You’ll discover how to meld plot and structure with characterisation into a seamless, addictively readable story. And your story will have a rich cast of characters who are fully developed, ensuring there are no superficial ones who lack depth and understanding.
This course will help you do the following:
- Understand your characters in detail – and how to convey those nuances to the reader.
- Create a balanced cast of characters which are the best mix to help you tell your story and attract readers.
- Use your character’s development to create narrative tension.
- Use your knowledge of your characters to write engaging and meaningful dialogue.
- Draw on your character’s journey to identify and shape key scenes and character interactions.
- Develop your plot and shape your structure by identifying what is really driving your characters.
Without characters, all we have in a story is a list of events. The depth and believability of your characters is what will make your story stand out amongst others – and what will draw your readers back, time after time.
This course will give you a firm foundation on which to build your story.
You have a great idea for a character… but no story…
Sometimes, you might have a brilliant idea for a character but you’re not sure where to take them. You know your character has so much potential but you don’t know where to start.
If this is the case, this course is perfect for you because it will help you flesh out your character and give you the techniques and strategies to create stories that your character can drive forward.
Work at your own pace
We’re all busy – so the course Fiction Essentials: Characters is designed to be studied online whenever, however you wish. All at once over a weekend, or module by module over months – whatever is most convenient for you!
Even if you’re an experienced writer, this course will still challenge you and help you to expand your skill set in this area.
By the end of this course
If you complete all the activities the course offers, by the end you will have acquired a useful way of thinking about characters and story, and have developed a number of skills.
In particular, you will have:
- at least three fully developed characters, complete with their back story, mannerisms, dialogue, and relationships, as well as what drives them and your story
- your full story arc planned so that you’re able to begin or improve your story immediately.
The AWC methodology
We truly believe that every person needs to tap into their own creative intuition. It’s YOUR ideas and imagination that will make your stories unique – and find your voice in your writing. However, we also know there are clear frameworks and techniques that will make you a better writer. AWC’s methodology will equip you with the right tools and skills you need, but also show you how to harness the creative process and tap into your own innate talents.