Getting into character
Writing compelling, believable characters is the key skill in all fiction writing. So it’s vital that you create characters readers will connect with. If you don’t, no one will care about your story – in fact, they probably won’t get past the first few pages!
In this online course, we will help you develop not only the main players in your story, but your entire cast of characters. This is vital because each of them plays an integral part in whether or not your reader engages with your story.
You’ll discover how to meld plot and structure with characterisation into a seamless, addictively readable story. And your story will have a rich cast of characters who are fully developed, ensuring there are no superficial ones who lack depth and understanding.
This course will help you do the following:
- Understand your characters in detail – and how to convey those nuances to the reader.
- Create a balanced cast of characters which are the best mix to help you tell your story and attract readers.
- Use your character’s development to create narrative tension.
- Use your knowledge of your characters to write engaging and meaningful dialogue.
- Draw on your character’s journey to identify and shape key scenes and character interactions.
- Develop your plot and shape your structure by identifying what is really driving your characters.
Without characters, all we have in a story is a list of events. The depth and believability of your characters is what will make your story stand out amongst others – and what will draw your readers back, time after time.
This course will give you a firm foundation on which to build your story.
“Fiction Essentials: Characters filled the gaps in where I’ve been absolutely stuck for nearly 12 months...now I know what I’m doing. Just do it!” - Kylie Saunder
“Fiction Essentials: Characters filled the gaps in where I’ve been absolutely stuck for nearly 12 months...now I know what I’m doing. Just do it!”
- Kylie Saunder
You have a great idea for a character… but no story…
Sometimes, you might have a brilliant idea for a character but you’re not sure where to take them. You know your character has so much potential but you don’t know where to start.
If this is the case, this course is perfect for you because it will help you flesh out your character and give you the techniques and strategies to create stories that your character can drive forward.
How our “self-paced courses” work
Fiction Essentials: Characters is one of AWC’s 20+ “self-paced” online courses. But what does that mean? Allow us to explain:
What’s included in your online course?
- 2 hours of content – access anytime at your own pace
- 4 audio lessons plus 4 supporting handouts
By the end of this course
If you complete all the activities the course offers, by the end you will have acquired a useful way of thinking about characters and story, and have developed a number of skills.
In particular, you will have:
- at least three fully developed characters, complete with their back story, mannerisms, dialogue, and relationships, as well as what drives them and your story
- your full story arc planned so that you’re able to begin or improve your story immediately.
“It is a valuable course for every writer who wants to sharpen and increase the quality of their characters and to make them memorable long after the pages of a book are closed. I enjoyed the volume of helpful information that I can revisit as frequently as necessary. A very comprehensive course.” - Cindy Ross
“It is a valuable course for every writer who wants to sharpen and increase the quality of their characters and to make them memorable long after the pages of a book are closed. I enjoyed the volume of helpful information that I can revisit as frequently as necessary. A very comprehensive course.”
- Cindy Ross