So you’re creative, inspired and want to write fiction? Great! For all writers, from first-timers to those with multiple novels under their belt already, the process can present some surprising challenges. Perhaps you’re struggling to get the first sentence onto the page, or maybe you’re part-way through and worried you’re veering off course.
Whether you’re working on a short story, a novel or a whole series, and whatever stage of writing you’re in, our top 10 blog posts on fiction writing will help keep you on track and take your work to the next level.
- Mark Twain said, “The secret of getting ahead is getting started,” and there’s no time like the present. We’ve rounded up six reasons you should start writing your novel now to give you a push in the right direction.
- Looking for some like-minded people to connect with? Our list of 88 Australian authors to follow on Twitter will help you find local writers whose tweets are a goldmine of tips and news – along with some cat photos too, of course.
- As you begin this journey, check out our 9 essential tips to supercharge your fiction writing. We’ve got ways to help you set yourself up for success, stay on track and get through any challenges that come your way.
- Now you’re getting into the swing of things, there are plenty of techniques you can use to make your writing sparkle. Take a look at our examples of why you need to “show, don’t tell”.
- Struggling to make your characters’ conversations sound realistic? Our post on the perils of dialogue writing will help you figure out exactly what they should be saying.
- A strong second act is key, no matter what kind of fiction you’re writing. If you’re looking for some core support, we’ve got advice on how to avoid a saggy middle.
- Sometimes looking at a different genre of writing can help re-energise your own. You might be surprised at how much picture books and chapter books have much in common, and what you can learn.
- To keep your readers gripped, they need to know your characters – and more importantly, they need to care. Read on here for some strategies to help you fully flesh characters out and keep readers coming back for more.
- You’re nearing the peak, but don’t slow down yet! Now you’ve finished your manuscript, the next step is finding an agent who gets you and your story. Experienced agent Jacinta Di Mase gave us an outline of the role agents can play, and what not to do.
- Whether you’ve signed with an agent or not, our run-through of what publishers want will help you tailor your writing to make it more publishable – and debunk some myths about the business.
These 10 posts are only the beginning. As you explore the website, you’ll find invaluable advice from evergreen tips to make your writing sing to the latest developments within the world of Australian writing. Have a look around and enjoy the wisdom of experts and authors who were once just getting started too.