Build your business, secure your future
Learn the inside success secrets to building a home-based, freelance copywriting business on a budget.
Copywriting is the art of writing words that sell for brochures, websites, blogs, advertisements and other marketing material. Our job is to write words that sell.
For those keen to make a living from writing, you’ll be pleased to discover that copywriters are some of the highest paid writers in the world, but to become a truly proficient and profitable copy expert, you’ll need to do two things:
- Invest time and energy in studying the craft (see our Copywriting Essentials course)
- Invest time and energy in setting up your freelance copywriting business (and that’s what this course is all about).
The secret to being a successful freelance copywriter is having a consistent flow of paying clients. After all, without clients, you don’t have a business so it really does pay to complete a course like this before you get started.
When you understand the business behind copywriting, you can turn on the “tap” of paying clients so that you control the flow and volume of work – which means you can charge what you want, work with who you want and decide when and where you work.
If you love the thought of writing copy but don’t know how to set up a successful writing business, this course is for you.
Becoming a copywriter is the quickest and easiest way to make money from writing so take the time to learn the business fundamentals of being a freelance copywriter and take control over your future.
Even if you’ve completed a small business marketing course before or have a background in business, nothing will set you up for success like this tailored course specifically designed to help freelance copywriters build a successful business.
Go for it. There's nothing to lose and a lot to gain. - Carole Ciavarra
Thank you Australian Writers' Centre!
Go for it. There's nothing to lose and a lot to gain.
- Carole Ciavarra
Why do I need this course?
Learning how to write copy is one thing. Learning how to find clients, take a brief, set up a business, charge for your work, invoice, build a website, create marketing collateral, network and create a sustainable business is another skill set altogether.
In fact, those who are great writers often find the business side of being a copywriter so difficult they give it up copywriting completely. Don’t let the business of being a freelance copywriter stop you from pursuing your dream. It is learnable and once you have your systems established, your leads will flow in and you can start focussing on the part you do love – writing copy!
Which course should I do first – Copywriting Essentials or this one?
It’s a personal choice but if you’re keen to really get started as a professional copywriter, nothing focuses the mind more than a paying client waiting for their copy!
For that reason, getting your business up and running is the fastest way to making money as a copywriter which is why this course could be a good starting point.
It also gives you a very practical overview of what it takes to be a freelance copywriter so it’s a good way to see if this career is right for you.
I really like the style of the online class. You can fit them in where you have time and seeing other people's assignments and hearing all the feedback gave you so much more to think about than just doing your own assignment and getting feedback. - Stephanie Smith
I really like the style of the online class. You can fit them in where you have time and seeing other people's assignments and hearing all the feedback gave you so much more to think about than just doing your own assignment and getting feedback.
- Stephanie Smith
(By the way, this course is brilliant for any creative freelancer or small business owner so if you’re an editor, proof reader, graphic designer, photographer or consultant, this course will be invaluable).
However, if you prefer to learn the fundamentals of how to actually write copy first, and then look for business later, then the Copywriting Essentials 5-week online course is the perfect companion course. If you’re not sure, do both!
Who will present the course?
The tutor for this course is Bernadette Schwerdt. She is also the tutor of our Copywriting Essentials course so if you thought that course was great, wait until you see what Bernadette has packed into this one.
She has trained some of Australia’s most successful freelance copywriters and knows exactly what it takes to run and sustain a copywriting business.
She brings to the table over 25 years of freelancing experience, decades working as a copywriter (she doesn’t just teach copywriting, she writes copy too so she knows exactly what traps to watch out for) and is a highly successful online entrepreneur who will show you how to leverage online tools and strategies to create a low-cost, high impact copywriting business that will generate a steady stream of clients with minimal effort.
Why become a home-based freelance copywriter?
People love working as a freelance copywriter because there are few, if any, barriers to entry. You don’t have to pay for rent, staff, stock, franchise fees, overheads, or any of the usual costs associated with starting a business. And it doesn’t matter how old you are, how much experience you have or what you look like, because all clients care about is ‘can you write great copy!’
Best of all, you can get started straight away – all you need is a computer! It’s truly as simple as that. Sure, it’ll require effort and commitment but if you’re getting paid well to write for a living, you won’t even consider it work because it’ll be stimulating, challenging, and filled with variety.
If you like the sound of this, then you should consider enrolling – you won’t regret it!
I'd tell anyone who was interested in doing an Australian Writers' Centre course that they would get more than their money's worth. Somehow they manage to squeeze in the perfect amount of knowledge into the perfect amount of time. - Donna Webeck
I'd tell anyone who was interested in doing an Australian Writers' Centre course that they would get more than their money's worth. Somehow they manage to squeeze in the perfect amount of knowledge into the perfect amount of time.
- Donna Webeck
You’ll learn how to:
- develop the confidence, mindset and attitude needed to set up, create and sustain a successful home-based business
- develop a marketing system that generates high-quality, high-paying clients without you having to “sell” your services
- navigate the “mechanics” of setting up a successful small business – building a website, sourcing the ABN, choosing a name, creating marketing collateral and other basic “tools of the trade” to get you started
- charge top dollar for your copywriting work and “bundle” your services to generate on-going revenue streams and convert one-off clients into long-term advocates
- niche your service offering to take advantage of your previous work experience, passion project or hobbies to become a recognised “copywriting expert” in your field
- develop a copywriting portfolio that impresses and inspires clients to do business with you, even if you’ve never written copy before
- create simple but effective email marketing campaigns that deliver never-ending sources of new business leads
- find copywriting clients with ease and use clever marketing strategies to leverage your existing network of those who may need copywriting
- move away from the limiting “per hourly rate” mindset and into a “value-based” model so you get paid what you are worth, not for the hours you put in
- work collaboratively with other businesses to fast-track your success and dramatically increase your income without increasing your workload.
Please note: This course covers the business of copywriting (not how to write copy) so if you’re already working as a copywriter but want to make more money and find more clients, this is the course for you.
If you’d like to learn the art and craft of copywriting, enrol in our very popular Copywriting Essentials course.
Our training works
This inspirational course has kick-started the business careers of some of Australia’s most successful copywriters. Their writing skills combined with their ability to attract and retain clients has enabled them to earn excellent money whilst they pursue their other passions be it to travel the world, bring up their children, write their novel or find a new career path after retrenchment. For many, the attraction is being able to develop that all-important work-life balance that is virtually impossible to find whilst working for other people.
This course is brilliant for:
- writers who want to make money doing something they love that gives them the time to write on their novel, screenplay or creative project
- journalists who want to add copywriting to their suite of corporate services
- entrepreneurs and business owners who want to learn how to offer copywriting as a service to their clients
- owners of service-based business like graphic design, photography, education, coaching, editing, or financial services who would like to know how to market their services more effectively.
Get started now and create the future of your dreams.